Gartner, one of the leading information technology research and advisory companies, recently published their 2017 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning Tools.
This new report replaces the prior Magic Quadrant for ADLM published in 2015 and highlights the changes that are coming to the market with the agile adoption at the enterprise level and the future of software development. The research states that by 2020 these planning tools will be the base for the DevOps toolchains.
Agile adoption nowadays is widespread. DevOps strategies are rising. Companies are focusing on improving their collaboration, project visibility and teamwork by spreading agile practices throughout their enterprises. As the technology and software development market keeps changing, it’s important not only to be up-to-date with the trends but to have a reliable source to analyze how technology providers are positioned in this market.
This study focuses on the enterprise-class agile development as they are the next step to the project-level agile and support large-scale software management.
“Enterprise agile planning tools enable organizations to make use of agile practices at scale to achieve enterprise-class agile development (EAD). This is done with practices that are business-outcome-driven, customer-centric, collaborative and cooperative, as well as with continual stakeholder feedback. These tools represent an evolution from project-centric agile tools and application development life cycle management (ADLM) tools. “
– Gartner Report
We can highlight that even with most organizations considering different tool providers when making their decisions, Atlassian is most frequently cited as under consideration. Atlassian continues to rank as a top leader for software development, agile and now DevOps. But let’s first understand the criteria that makes the Leader quadrant.
Things that makes a leader:
According to Gartner methodology, leaders execute well against their current vision and are well-positioned for tomorrow. In this specific research, the leader quadrant has some characteristics:
- Solid market presence
- Established marketplaces
- Large scale adoptions
- Strong integration capability
- Strong networks for training and implementation
- A combination of strong vision either in leading agile thought or the combination of agile with developer collaboration and DevOps
When analyzing Atlassian’s market position and strengths, Gartner recommends to consider the company when looking for acomprehensive solution for running agile or traditional projects. The researcher also highlights the issue tracking, task management and collaboration that Atlassian provides in their solutions and the focus onintegration features.
- One of its strengths is the solid customer base from JIRA software that has good adoption because of its flexibility.
- Since Atlassian focuses on teamwork, another great advantage is their collaboration features. The last acquisition of Trello helped expand their market reach and improve collaboration along with HipChat and Confluence not only for dev teams, but in other areas.
- With the constant growth of companies implementing DevOps practices, the support for GIT and continuous Integration that Atlassian provides is another benefit of the toolset.
- The Atlassian model was also mentioned, providing support via partners and making it easier to focus on their core functionality, while having more than 2,000 add-in functions in the Atlassian Marketplace.
Jay Simmons, President of Atlassian, commented on the research and explained that their growing market presence and continued position as leaders in Gartners’ quadrant is an evidence that Atlassian is disrupting the traditional agile market with great products and an unique model.
Even though Atlassian didn’t position itself as a DevOps company, collaboration, teamwork and automation are at the heart of the company. It continues to invest in tools and strategies that complement their portfolio and help teams work better and delight their customers.
As mentioned before, the Atlassian model drives a huge marketplace and channel strategy to provide the best solutions to their clients.
If you’re starting your journey on enterprise planning agile tools or want to improve the potential of your Atlassian tools by adding new plugins, customizing your solutions or training your resources, you can rely on an Atlassian Solution Platinum Partner to help you in this mission.
Learn how we can partner with you and your business by contacting one of our experts.
To read the full Gartner Magic Quadrant, click here.